Institute for Patient-Centered Design, Inc.
Links for designers
Patient-centered design supports the practice of patient-centered care by creating environmental conditions that facilitate healing. The following principles may be applied to health facility design to engage patients.
1. Respect privacy
2. Facilitate communication, collaboration and trust
3. Encourage patient and family participation
4. Empower patients
5. Promote safety and security
6. Provide accessible accommodations
7. Create a comfortable environment
8. Facilitate healing
9. Support staff’s goals through design
10. Look for design opportunities to respond to unmet needs
Links for Designers